Voter ID

All voters must prove their identity and residential address before voting. There are three ways to do this.

Option 1

Show one of these pieces of ID:

      • A BC driver’s licence
      • A BC Identification Card (BCID)
      • A BC Services Card (with photo)
      • Another card issued by the Government of B.C. or Canada that shows your name, photo and address
      • A Certificate of Indian Status
ID Option #1

Option 2

Show any two pieces of ID or documents that both show your name. At least one must have your current address. Examples include:

Government-issue identity documents

  • BC CareCard
  • BC Services Card (without photo)
  • Birth certificate
  • Canadian Forces Photo Identification card
  • Citizenship certificate
  • Correctional Service Canada Offender Identification card
  • Firearms Possession and Acquisition Licence
  • Firearms Possession Only Licence
  • Old Age Security Identification card
  • Passport
  • Social Insurance Number card
  • Veterans Affairs Canada Health Care Identification card

Other government-issue documents

  • Canada Child Tax Benefit statement
  • Government cheque or cheque stub
  • Income tax assessment notice
  • Property tax assessment
  • Statement of Canada Pension Plan benefits
  • Statement of government employment insurance benefits paid
  • Statement of Old Age Security

School, college, or university documents

  • Admissions letter
  • Report card
  • Residence acceptance
  • Transcript
  • Tuition/fees statement
  • Student card

Other documents

  • Bank/credit card or statement
  • Confirmation of Residence (3003680)
  • Hospital bracelet/document
  • Insurance statement
  • Membership card
  • Mortgage statement
  • Personal cheque (printed by bank)
  • Prescription medication containers
  • Provincial Where to Vote card
  • Public transportation pass
  • Residential lease
  • Statutory declaration prepared by a lawyer or notary public attesting a voter’s identity and/or residence
  • Utility bill
ID Option #2

Note: Electronic documents (e.g. e-bills) and electronic scans of a paper document are acceptable. Hand-written information on a document is not acceptable, with the following exceptions: Confirmation of Residence forms and statutory declarations completed by hand will be accepted; a Canadian passport containing a voter’s printed name and handwritten address may be accepted as proof of identity, but not as proof of residential address.

Option 3

Voters who don’t have identification can have their identity vouched for by another person. The voucher must be:

  • a registered voter resident in the voter’s electoral district, or
  • a spouse, parent, grandparent, adult child, adult grandchild or adult sibling of the voter, or
  • a person with the authority to make personal care decisions for the voter.

Vouchers must provide acceptable identification. The voter and the voucher must each make a solemn declaration confirming the voter’s identity and residential address.

A voucher who is not the voter’s relative or personal care authority may only vouch for one voter. A relative may vouch for any voters who are members of their family. A personal care authority may vouch for all voters over whom they have written authority.

A voter who has been vouched for may not vouch for another voter in that election.

Power of Attorney does not give an individual the authority to make personal care decisions for another person. To establish that a person has authority under the common law or an enactment to make personal care decisions for a voter as required under the Election Act, the voucher must make a solemn declaration that they have either:

An order of the Supreme Court of British Columbia, naming the voucher and stating that the voucher has been appointed as:

  • a ‘Committee’ to manage the person of the applicant under the Patients Property Act of British Columbia; or
  • a person with the authority to make personal care decisions in respect of the applicant without reference to any statute or regulation.


A valid Representation Agreement currently in effect, naming the voucher as a representative or monitor of the applicant under the Representation Agreement Act of British Columbia.