Local Third Party Advertising Sponsors
A local elections third party advertising sponsor is an individual or organization that conducts election advertising independently from any candidate or elector organization.
Local elections third party advertising includes advertising for or against a candidate or elector organization, and/or advertising on an issue, such as funding for a local recreation centre or preserving parkland.
Advertising conducted for assent voting held separately from a local election is called non-election assent voting advertising.
There are new campaign financing rules for third party advertising sponsors in the 2018 General Local Elections. The new rules are summarized in this bulletin (PDF).
For more information about the rules, visit our Local Elections FAQs page.
Elections BC helps advertising sponsors understand the rules under the Local Elections Campaign Financing Act. Among other requirements, advertising sponsors must:
- Register with Elections BC before conducting any advertising.
- Include sponsorship information on third party advertising. Sponsorship information includes:
- the sponsor’s name,
- a B.C. phone number, B.C. mailing address or an email address,
- the words “authorized by”, and
- the words “registered sponsor under LECFA”.
- File a disclosure statement with Elections BC within 90 days after General Voting Day.
Tools for advertising sponsors in local events held before the 2018 General Local Elections
The forms and guides linked to below apply to local elections and non-election assent voting held before the 2018 General Local Elections. The campaign financing rules for these events are different from the rules for the 2018 General Local Elections. Forms and guides for the 2018 General Local Elections for third party advertising sponsors are under review and will be posted here when available.
Local Election Third Party Advertising Sponsors
- Third Party Sponsor Guide to Local Elections in B.C. (PDF)
- Disclosure Statement Completion Guide for Local Elections Third Party Sponsors (PDF)
- Local advertising sponsor registration forms
- Local elections third party advertising sponsor disclosure statement forms