Who Does What in Local Elections

Unlike provincial elections, local government and school board elections in B.C. are not run by one single entity. Elections BC is one of several authorities that play a role in general local elections, by-elections and assent voting.

If you have questions about… Contact…
Voting and ballots Local Chief Election Officers
Nomination process Local Chief Election Officers
Advertising rules Elections BC
Campaign financing and disclosure rules Elections BC
Registration of elector organizations Elections BC
School trustees/school board elections Ministry of Education
Legislation for local elections Ministry of Municipal Affairs

Each jurisdiction in B.C. appoints a Local Chief Election Officer to run local elections and assent voting in that jurisdiction. To contact your Local Chief Election Officer, search for the name of your local government or school board (city, regional district, municipality, school board, etc.) on CivicInfo BC’s Organizations page.

If you have questions outside of an election, contact your Local Chief Administrative Officer.

For school board elections, contact the Secretary Treasurer’s Office in your local school district.

Elections BC’s Role

Elections BC administers campaign financing, election advertising and elector organization registration rules. The Local Elections Campaign Financing Act establishes these rules. We do not administer voting or candidate nominations for local elections.

Where can I find financial reports for local elections?

You can find scanned images of all disclosure statements and financial reports filed with Elections BC in our Financial Reports and Political Contributions System (FRPC). You can also search for campaign contributions to local candidates and elector organizations.

All candidates, elector organizations, and advertising sponsors must file a disclosure statement with Elections BC.

Disclosure statements show the financial transactions for a campaign, including contributions and expenses. The deadline for filing a disclosure statement is 90 days after General Voting Day, but there is also a late filing deadline 120 days after General Voting Day. Filers must pay a $500 fee for late statements to be accepted.

Registered elector organizations must also file annual financial reports with Elections BC by March 31 of each year. Annual financial reports disclose all financial activity of an elector organization from the previous year.

Need more information?

For more information about local campaign financing and election advertising rules, read the Local Elections FAQs.

You can also contact the Electoral Finance team at Elections BC:

Phone: 1-800-661-8683 (Mon-Fri, 8:30 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. PST, toll-free in Canada and the United States)

Email: electoral.finance@elections.bc.ca